here for a printable version of these lists. Check
each step off as you do it. See the FamilyRoots Organizer
videos for a complete explanation of how to set up the
FamilyRoots Filing System.
- GETTING STARTED
1. Gather together genealogically-related items
you already have. (See videos for suggestions.)
2. Fill in a pedigree chart with as much information
as you can.
3. Divide up the items you found by the family surnames
of your ancestors and place in temporary containers.
(See videos for ideas on how to do this step.)
4. Update your pedigree charts, and make family
- SETTING UP THE FILING SYSTEM
1. Gather supplies for your filing system. (See
"TIPS - Shopping List for Filing Systems" for list of
supplies you need.)
2. At the front of your file box put a complete
set of your family pedigree charts.
3. Study the Circled 5-Generation Pedigree Chart.
(See "TIPS - Circled Pedigree.")
4. Circle the lines of your 4 grandparents by color
on your own 5-generation pedigree chart.
5. Put 16 colored hanging files into your box: 4
blue, 4 green, 4 red, 4 yellow.
6. Label the colored hanging files with your family
surnames, using your own 5-generation pedigree chart
as a guide. (See videos for details.)
7. Put copies of your 5-generation pedigree chart
in each of the colored hanging files, one for each surname.
Highlight the surname line that belongs with that colored
8. Label a manila file for each family on your 5-generation
pedigree chart. (See video for how to label these files.)
9. File the manila folders in alphabetical order
behind the colored hanging folders the manila folders
belong with. (See "TIPS - Patronymics" for suggestions
on filing patronymic names.)
10. Place family group record, To Do List, Research
Log, documents, notes, and other useful items in manila
family file folders. (See videos for a complete explanation.)
11. Set up other useful files. (See videos for explanation
of Holding Files, Location Files, and Helps Files.)
12. Expand to other boxes, as needed. (See videos
for how to.)
13. Keep the basic file system updated and useful.
(See videos for suggestions.)